Wednesday, February 22, 2012
Green Beetles and Bees Hit Hartford, CT on St. Patrick's Day at BugWorld Insect Fair
Thousands of insects and a swarm of entomologists will converge on Hartford, CT for the 83rd Annual Meeting of the Entomological Society of America's Eastern Branch.
The meeting will include a free public program for kids and parents, “It’s a Bug’s World,” which will be held on Saturday, March 17 from 10:00am-3:00pm at the Hilton Hartford.
“It's a Bug’s World” will feature interactive displays, demonstrations, and artwork, including:
- Live insects and bug-eating reptiles and amphibians
- An "All About Honey" exhibit, and a honey tasting by the 2012 American Honey Princess
- Beetles that kill Connecticut trees, and the wasps that hunt them down
- Bed bugs and Ellie, the bed-bug scent detector dog
- Chances for kids to paint watercolor insects with a professional nature illustrator
- Presentations by the environmental science students from the Mary M. Hooker Environmental Sciences Magnet School
- Insect kites and cricket musicians
- Build-a-Bug, face painting, and balloon art
"It's a Bug's World" will coincide with the entomological society’s scientific meeting sessions, which will be held March 16-19, 2012, at the Hilton Hartford. The three-day meeting will draw entomologists from northeastern and mid-Atlantic states and several Canadian provinces, and the symposia will involve identifying and managing pests and invasive species, pollinator health and biodiversity, biological control, and several other topics. In addition, there are submitted paper and poster presentations, and student competitions.
Click here for the full program.
The Entomological Society of America (ESA) is the largest organization in the world dedicated to the science, magic, and mystery of the world’s most abundant life form -- insects. With more than 6,000 active members, the ESA helps to promote understanding of insects and solve world problems associated with them, including world hunger, disease prevention, and urban pest control. ESA is a 501c(3) not-for-profit membership society headquartered in Lanham, MD. For more information, go to http://www.entsoc.org.
For more information about "It's a Bug's World," contact the Program Organizer, Faith Kuehn, Delaware Department of Agriculture, at (302) 698-4587 or Faith.Kuehn@state.de.us. The Hilton Hartford is located at 315 Trumbull St., Hartford, CT 06103, telephone 860-728-5151.